Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Owl Season

Big Brother returned to our screens last Thursday. Whilst I acknowledge that this programme is the televisual equivalent of marmite, Mrs Reg and I are big fans. The return of the show also heralds the arrival of those long, hot summer nights, which usually results in a bit of owling for yours truly.

Last year I had several sightings of a Barn Owl from the garden and I would like to be able to do the same again this year. As you might remember from an earlier blog entry, I year-ticked this bird from my bedroom window at the beginning of April, so I know they are definitely around.

Owls are therefore well and truly on the agenda for the next few months. In fact, I paid a visit to a local site on Sunday and enjoyed good views of a Little Owl, which is pictured below. The photo is courtesy of Pete Walkden, who joined us on Friday for the Nightjar mission. More of Pete's work is available on his website here.

Little Owl

Last night I decided to stay up late and kept a lonely vigil from my study for an hour or so. A few distant Tawny Owls were heard, but the spot of the night came in the guise of a Muntjac deer, which trotted up the pavement opposite my house just after midnight. I have seen these small deer in the field opposite the house during the autumn once or twice, but seeing it on the pavement was a bit surreal.

Shortly afterwards, a Fox appeared and relieved himself in my front garden. He hung around for five or ten minutes, then disappeared. I called it a night at 12:30am. I hadn't seen any Barn Owls, but I will be repeating the exercise in a week or two's time so I hope to strike lucky then.

Twycross Zoo

I also paid a visit to Twycross Zoo yesterday. I thought it would be nice to post a few pictures from the trip here too, though I hasten to add that I have not added any of the birds to my life list! On the way there, however, I did manage to add no less than 5 Eddie Stobart trucks to my Eddie list!

Hover your cursor over the pictures for my usual selection of inane comments.

Marmot - you either love them or hate them!

I think these are Ural Owls

A Crowned Crane

Storks of some kind?

Another Stork

A Macaroni Penguin. Bellissimo!

Meerkat on lookout

Quick! Before it runs away!

Quite a big pen for a female House Sparrow!

It's us again!

Startled Cattle Egrets

I'm off to Wales on Saturday where I shall be looking out for Pied Flycatchers, Grasshopper Warblers, Manx Shearwaters, Puffins, Black Guillemots, Roseate Terns, Choughs, Little Terns and Whinchats for the year list. When I get back I shall post a trip report here. Until then, happy birding!

No comments: