Monday, September 1, 2008

Fruits Of The Forest

This morning I have been to the Wyre Forest with a view to taking some photographs of the Silver-Washed Fritillaries. How's this for starters?

Silver-Washed Fritillary

Sadly, this one was on the notice board in the car park.

Nice work, Bear!

I don't know if you'll be able to see this from the picture, but a gentleman known only as Bear has appended their name to the sign. Before you ask, I don't know who this character is, but it would seem that they enjoyed their visit to the forest so much that they felt obliged to take up their felt-tip pen [not easy when you've got paws] and leave their mark for all to see. I wonder if he shits in the woods?

Anyway, enough of this ursine nonsense ...

Sadly, the bright start to the day was short-lived. It didn't really warm up enough to get many butterflies up and on the wing, but a few Speckled Woods and Red Admirals were seen. In terms of birding, it was fairly quiet too. Common Buzzard, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers were about as good as it got.

To top it all, the heavens opened at about 10:30am whilst I was in the meadow along Dowles Brook. I got a thorough soaking and once the rain stopped I decided to call it a day and headed home. A shame, because the sun then came out and it began to warm up a bit. As I left I had visions of hordes of Silver-Washed Fritillaries all fluttering around happily back in the direction I had come from.

Ah well, I think butterflying in the Wyre will now have to wait until next year.

No comments: