Monday, February 9, 2009

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

As expected, the wintry weather curtailed any plans to get out in the field this weekend. To be absolutely honest, I probably could have ventured out on Sunday morning, but it was a bit chilly and I simply couldn't be bothered. However, the heavy snow at the end of the week meant that I walked into work on Thursday and Friday.

At the beginning of the year I took the view that if I did leave the car at home and make the journey on foot, then I would count this as patch birding. As a result, I added just over three miles to my total distance walked this year. In terms of birds it wasn't too bad either, as redwing, greenfinch and green woodpecker were all seen, the latter being a patch tick.

I was also keeping a close eye on the garden this weekend. February is a good month to get siskins on the feeders and the prospect of a lesser redpoll amongst them. I haven't seen either of these species so far, but I'm still optimistic of a visit as winter wears on. However, three great spotted woodpeckers on Sunday morning was an excellent record. First a male and female visited the suet feeders, closely followed by a second female moments later, when the original pair decamped to the large tree in the garden behind ours.

Birds Seen On Foot 2009: 54

Distance travelled: 28.2 miles

Telescope Points

Congratulations to Andy, who correctly answered the crossword clue featured in my previous entry. The correct answer was flinch, which apparently is an alternative meaning of the word quail. You learn something new everyday, don't you?

Being the winner of the first set of Telescope Points to be awarded this year, Andy currently heads the Telescope League Table, closely followed by, well, no one.

More Telescope Points will be on offer over the coming weeks, so keep 'em peeled and who knows, you could be walking away with the Telescope Trophy come the end of the year.

Norfolk

On Sunday 22 February I head to Norfolk with my Dad, Dave Lyons and Steve Jones. We're spending one night in Sheringham and hope to visit Lynford Arboretum, May Day Farm, Strumpshaw Fen, Stubb Mill, Salthouse, Holkham, Titchwell and Choseley Barns. It's going to be a hectic couple of days, but so long as the weather is on our side I'm sure there's going to be some cracking birding, and with Dave and Steve present there's bound to be plenty of laughs too.

Next Sunday I hope to get back on the patch, possibly with a view to looking for snipe again, and I'll report my findings in due course.

No comments: