Sunday, October 11, 2009

Into The Woods

A beautiful autumn morning saw me pay a visit to one of my favourite haunts, the Wyre Forest. Accompanying me for his second official birding experience was my mate Boyley.

The main aim was to fill in a few gaps on his fledgling life list. On the whole, we did quite well. As is often the way, however, a few species eluded us. These included goldcrest, long-tailed tit and song thrush.

On the positive side, we had good numbers of redwing over Lodge Hill Farm - the first I've seen since the leaves started falling of the trees, excellent views of dippers on Dowles Brook, and half a dozen Mandarins on the River Severn by Trimpley Reservoir later on.

In total, Boyley added a further 21 species to his list. Our next venture will probably be to Bittell Reservoirs, with the intention of seeing a few different duck species.

It's been really enjoyable to get back in touch with the birds that I have perhaps begun to take a bit for granted.

No comments: